Coconut oil has been trending worldwide, and for good reason. Benefits of the all-natural substance include weight control, managing diabetes, and taking care of your skin.
For babies, coconut oil has a wide range of uses, especially when it comes to skincare. It actually absorbs in the skin, and heals from within. These 10 benefits will have you stockpiling jars of the stuff to keep handy wherever you are.
1. Insect bites and stings – insects are a reality that, no matter how hard you try, will always find a way to get to your baby. Coconut oil relieves the itching and helps return the skin to normal.
2. Baby acne – acne is a problem you want to push off to adolescence, when there’s far more at stake (girls, boys, dances). Rub coconut oil gently onto the affected areas twice daily. It works far better than over-the-counter products, which can be potentially harmful.
3. Diaper rash – another common skin condition that can be treated with a simple dose of coconut oil. Those who’ve tried it know that it cuts healing time in half.
4. Ear infection – while your baby’s ear health is not something to treat lightly, coconut oil offers an alternative to synthetic antibiotics, which come with their own side effects. There are always possible complications, so visit your trusted health professional before taking a course of action. Just make sure s/he offers it as a treatment.
5. Cradle cap – although it sounds like cute headgear, cradle cap is anything but. As with the other skin conditions on this list, rub coconut oil gently onto the scalp, and the dry skin will heal.
6. Hay fever – rub a little coconut oil on the inside of your baby’s nostrils. Instead of going straight up the nose, pollen will stick to the oil.
7. Hair conditioner – with great moisturising power, it can be used to wash your baby’s hair, as well as your own. Try it. It feels great!
8. Bruises – it immediately begins to reduce redness and swelling, hastening the healing process.
9. Thrush – coconut oil has antifungal properties. It can be used to treat thrush on both baby and mum.
10. Teething – when applied to a teething ring or dummy – or even just your finger – it will provide extra relief.
Coconut oil has many more benefits for you and your baby. It’s just one more example of the healing gifts nature has given us.
Leave a Reply